Saturday, February 26, 2011

Luncheon at Popeye's Louisiana Kitchen

Ok when I say Popeye what do you think of? Spinach and the sailor man I bet. Well, that's what I think of anyway. But, have you heard about Popeye's Louisiana Kitchen? I don't know about other place but in Mines, it just operated last year (sorry my rusted memory, I cant remember the exact month). Popeyes offers fried chicken and fried seafood. We (SWG) had it a try once but it just came out to the average level to our liking. With other competitors to choose (McD, KFC, Pizza, A&W, etc...) even Mines Food Court got the higher ranking for the places to go for lunch, so frankly we rarely go there :D

However we're not that mean. We are open for second chance. It was unfair to judge by just the first try, what if they already improved? So, put aside our egoistic (it's all about to eat a good food anyway..) we went there for lunch on ussual Friday break.

I went for the Fried Chicken Combo meal set for RM11.95 which has 2 pieces of fried chicken, 1 biscuit and 2 regular side dishes plus a drink. The chicken was crispy and sufficiently juicy inside but I felt it lacked flavour, possibly due to less spices? (Or it was because my high hot & spicy level, I got a typical N.9 tongue you see)
What they call “biscuit” in New Orleans terms is essentially a hard bun that is like a tasteless muffin or rock biscuit. However I like it a lot. You can have it with strawberry Jam to make it more tasty.



I had the impression that I could choose my sides like at Kenny Rogers – mistake. You get regulation issue mash potato and coleslaw. Now, mashed potatoes is practically a simple dish, but at Popeye's, the mashed potatoes is brought to a new level with their special gravy. The gravy had specks of meat and chillies in it and Popeye's mashed potatoes was absolutely the best I've ever had! The gravy is seriously addictive!



Mango Juice. So fresh and tasty.


Other's set you can find here is The fish and shrimp set which came with 2 slices of battered fish fillets which were very juicy and fresh. The shrimp was fresh too. However I didn't have the photo of it. It was ordered by Nor.

See, I only got a photo of Nor with Zetty.



And of course my photo with Fizah and Kak Maz.



Overall I can conclude the foods were satisfying. Give it a try if you're looking for something other than burgers and fried chicken! Don't forget the mashed potatoes!

No comments: